Felling Medium Sized Trees
Who is this course for?
This course is for learners who are required to operate chainsaws to fell trees larger than the guidebar length and who have attended the basic chainsaw courses in this series, or their equivalent, and/or have the appropriate certification (City and Guilds NPTC units CS30 and CS31).
People involved in:
- Woodland industries
- Local authorities
- Land-based industries.
All learners must have prior chainsaw operating experience and be competent in chainsaw maintenance and basic felling techniques. They should hold City and Guilds NPTC Level 2 Awards CS 30 and 31.
- Identify the risk assessment and emergency procedures on a worksite.
- Organise site safety and state the procedures required.
- Assess the trees to be felled for hazards and risks.
- Fell trees that have a diameter greater than the effective cutting length of the guidebar, but not twice the guidebar length. Guidebar length not greater than 380mm/15".
- Assess a leaning tree and the safest method of felling.
- Make accurate felling cuts in the correct positions.
- Delimb felled trees in a safe and methodical manner.
- Crosscut timber accurately to required lengths.
- Assess and explain the term 'tension' and 'compression' in timber.
- Adopt safe procedures to remove a trapped guidebar.
- Handle and stack timber in a safe manner.
- Assess a hung-up tree and the safest method of takedown.
- Select and prepare equipment required for safe and effective takedown and check on the safety of takedown tools including hand winches.
- Make accurate severing cuts in the correct positions.
- Select and use hand tools safely.
- Take down hung-up trees using a hand winch to a safe and stable position.
- State all unsafe practices which must not be adopted.
- CLMC52X – three days for novice learners.
- CLMC52R – one day for experiences learners (evidence of experience required).
- HSE legislation and safety guidelines
- Felling medium sized trees
- Additional felling techniques
- Snedding and delimbing
- Crosscutting felled timber
- Taking down hung-up trees
- Stump treatment, clearing site and chainsaw checks