Who is this course for?
Any person employed in forestry, arboriculture, agriculture, horticulture, landscaping and grounds maintenance, and who is, or will be, required to operate a clearing saw. Inexperienced operators may require longer than the stated guide times to fully utilise the information supplied.
- Produce a site specific risk assessment for clearing saw operations.
- Identify the necessary personal protective equipment required (PPE).
- Report on its condition and locate standard mark.
- Identify health and safety features required on a clearing saw.
- Identify defects on a clearing saw and cutting equipment and decide which the operator can remedy and which require a service engineer's attention.
- Carry out correctly all routine maintenance in accordance with the operator's manufacturer's instruction book and/or Lantra Awards workbook.
- Prepare the clearing saw for use with the correct fuel/oil mix.
- Start the clearing saw from both hot and cold start in a safe manner.
- Carry out pre cutting checks.
- Maintain the clearing saw and cutting blade in a safe and efficient working condition.
- Adjust the clearing saw for safe and comfortable operation.
- Operate the clearing saw on stems up to and over 50mm in a safe manner having regard for the safety of the public, property and environmental factors.
- Organise the site and use a systematic method of working where possible.
- CLMC09X – one day
- CLMC09Z – two days
- CLMC09R – one day
- Safety and risk assessment
- HSE legislation
- Protective clothing
- Components and maintenance
- Practical maintenance
- Fuelling and starting
- Testing the safety features
- Checking balance of the clearing saw
- Safe operation